Myrtletown Home PageCommunity ForumCommunity ClassifiedsBusinesses in MyrtletownWhere is Myrtletown?Free Wifi Hotspot
How to login?Close
If you have never logged in before, simply enter your name and email address and an account will be created for you with that information. Once your account is created, an email will be sent to you with further details.
Privacy PolicyClose
The email address you provide to Myrtletown.net when you register a new account will not be sold or shared with any 3rd party organization or entity. We may occasionally use your email address to send you important notices regarding the Myrtletown.net website or your account with Myrtletown.net. Your name will be visible on the Myrtletown.net web site, but your email address will always be hidden to other users and readers of the site.
Processing...
blabla
Create a New TopicClick and drag to move this box HelpClose

Bold  Italic  Underlined    Smiley    Link    Help    New blog entry.
SmilesClose
Error Close

Insert a linkClose

How to use the buttons?Close
To use the different text styles, highlight the text that you wish to make bold, italic, or underlined then click on the appropriate button. Or, click on a text style button and begin to type. When you want to return to normal text, click the button again.

Click on the smiley face to see a list of emoticons that you can insert into your message.

To insert a link, press the www button. You will be asked to type in the web address and the text you want to appear underlined. Or, just highlight the text you want to be a link and click the www button. A menu will appear for you to enter in the address.
Delete Message Close

Are you sure you want to delete this message?

Message Flagged! Close

Clinton's Eureka Visit A Complete Bust

Post a comment on this thread   Go back to previous page
Click to flag this message as spam, offensive, illegal, etc.
date posted: Jan 16, 2008 19:48:55 Reply Blog entry Flag this comment as Spam or Inappropriate
darsh
darsh
Click to see darsh's details.
Clear and promising day at Redwood Acres ends in confusion, disappointment for many

It was total mayhem at Redwood Acres today as thousands of people lined up to see former US President Bill Clinton speak at a last-minute stop-off in Eureka.

About 150 people were waiting in line at 2:30pm when I arrived with friends to wait for Slick Willy to show up. We stood for many hours, and by 5:30pm it seemed as though the number of people in front of us had doubled, at least.

Read the rest of this story

I Myrtletown

date posted: Jan 16, 2008 19:52:13 Reply Flag this comment as Spam or Inappropriate
darsh
darsh
At approximately 3:30pm two women went through the line passing out numbered "tickets", and they told us to line up in the order of our numbers.

My friends and I were numbered 317 and up. We figured that since there were a reported 400 seats inside, we would surely get a chance to see the former president speak. By 4:00pm there were at least 1500 people behind us--the line went all the way back to the furthest point in the western parking area of the fair grounds.

[long line to see Clinton]

As the sun went down and the line filled up even more, my friends and the people in line around us began to notice that there were many, many more people in front of us than earlier in the day, and when it looked like the doors were finally being opened, it became abundantly clear that many hundreds of people who were showing up at the last minute had created a second, less orderly line near the doorway and were being let in. Most of the 2000 or more people waiting had no knowledge of this and continued to wait in the cold, hoping to see Clinton.

In the end we even tried cutting to the front of the line since it seemed to be the only way to get inside, but it was too late. People who had "tickets" numbered below 100 were being denied access, and the entire crowd began to realize that this event was devastatingly disorganized and ill-conceived, and that somebody had seriously dropped the ball. The man at the door told us we might get in, but we wouldn't see Clinton because the main room had already filled up. Almost nobody who was actually in line for 5 or more hours even got a chance to get inside.

At no point during the event did anyone provide any information to those waiting in line.

Now, as my friends and I sit here listening to Mr. Clinton speak over the radio from the warmth of our office, we can't help but feel that the sheer failure of the local democratic comittee organizers to not prevent a free-for-all bum rush to the door at the last minute, and to only have 400 seats available for an event which attracted thousands of people, is just all too typical here in Humboldt County. Maybe it's because we haven't had a presidential visitor since Johnson and his crew were here nearly 40 years ago, or maybe it's just because we don't have the experience in general to deal with this kind of media event, but one thing is certain: the general public has no respect for rules, no respect for lines, no respect for those who took valuable time out of their lives to be part of this historic political event. This is exemplified each day all over Humboldt in the form of drivers disregarding speed limits, driving without insurance, and parking in bike lanes or running red lights.

Sadly, the same people who will be counting our ballots on election day and planning our community's political events completely failed to bring any organization or fairness to a simple rally.

The democratic party wants to bring democracy back to the people, but our local organizers can't even manage a line of voters in a fair and organized manner.

Video of people being denied access after waiting 5+ hours

I Myrtletown
date posted: Jan 16, 2008 20:22:14 Reply Flag this comment as Spam or Inappropriate
michele
michele
Click to see michele's details.
As a Myrtletown resident (and registered Democrat) I was in line for the Clinton rally at 2:30pm. I witnessed the chaos that ensued, and despite my 4 hour wait I was no where near the entrance to the hall when it filled up.

As I sat in line I tuned my ear to the political discussions taking place around me. Of the conversations I overheard, most people seemed to be interested in Clinton, but leaning towards Obama (who am I kidding - every single person was just there to hear the former president and his infamous charisma).

The afternoon passed and the sun dipped below the horizon. As the hour approached, smiles faded as hundreds of people arrived at the last minute only to be whisked inside the building with the first fifty supporters. The remaining 300 people who expected to be admitted (myself included) were left in the cold with looks of confusion on our faces. After all, we were told by several HCDCC organizers that we were "definitly going to make it in" and even had a numbered ticket to prove it.

If this is the kind of democratic process endorsed by the Clinton campaign, I'm not sure it's a departure from the current administration. Eight years have passed but nothing has changed in the political process. We the people were both uninformed and misinformed before being left disappointed and disillusioned at the end of the day.

This experience says to me that Hillary Clinton doesn't have anything new to offer - just the status quo. Unfortunately, on the heels of the New Hampshire upset (and possible election rigging), it is hard for me to take the Clinton campaign seriously.

Until today I still considered supporting Clinton in the primary. I was expecting to sit in that room and be so captivated by Bill that I would just have to vote for Hillary.

Now I feel like even if I check Obama on my ballot, I'll be left with a hanging chad.

Down-to-earth ways to save time, money, and the planet. The Green Baby Guide
date posted: Jan 16, 2008 21:45:01 Reply Flag this comment as Spam or Inappropriate
Boymstlikely2
Boymstlikely2
Click to see Boymstlikely2's details.
This may sound callous, but after reading this, I am glad I could not attend. If I had rearranged my work schedule to arrive early in line, only to have people cut in front would have been a truly angry experience for me. I am very sad to see that you two waited for so long, and to have it be done the way it was. Very disappointing. I can hear those voices, you know the ones. Those voices of people who dismiss us a back water stop full of inept people. This kind of stuff sort of reinforces the stereotype. The organizers should be better than this.

-boy

Where have all the Merrymakers gone?
date posted: Jan 16, 2008 23:32:52 Reply Flag this comment as Spam or Inappropriate
mresquan
mresquan
Click to see mresquan's details.
I don't know why so many are surprised by the lack of organization here.The Clinton's could care less about any Humboldt County resident and this event was only to use people as a PR stunt.I admit to waiting for a couple of hours,but the lack of organization kept me out as well.Heard some rumors through the crowd about an upcoming Obama stunt here though,so the circus may not be over yet.

date posted: Jan 16, 2008 23:52:52 Reply Flag this comment as Spam or Inappropriate
Not Registered
Not Registered
Click to see Not Registered's details.
I agree that it was poorly organized and the loads of cutters were obscene. I wrote my narrative of the night (I was lucky enough to get in and not because of my stupid index card with orange writing) here:
http://www.topix.net/forum/source/eureka-times-standard/TS251833EAM6VOC8O
I got to tell it like it is to Hillary's campaign though!!!
I must tell that the lady with the orange marker was THE ONLY ONE tonight that made an effort at organization. She deserves credit for that.

I am the default unregistered user account. Yay!
date posted: Jan 17, 2008 7:14:13 Reply Flag this comment as Spam or Inappropriate
darsh
darsh
Oh gee, thanks Jason so you were among those who just decided to disregard the lines and cut up front to get yourself in. Wonderful. How incredbily unfortunate it was that so many people got burned for waiting in line like civilized Americans. What was I thinking? Did I really believe that there would be any order or fairness?

Indeed, thousands were turned away, and as many people have pointed out on various other blogs, there were many, many alternate locations which could have handled a bigger crowd and still made the secret service happy (HSU, EHS, etc).

Thanks to all the Jasons out there for disregarding the rules and helping a couple thousand Humboldt residents lose a little more faith in the community that surrounds us.

I Myrtletown
date posted: Jan 17, 2008 9:00:35 Reply Flag this comment as Spam or Inappropriate
Not Registered
Not Registered
I was there, #321. To add insult to injury, the bathroom doors were locked - with what looked like
1500 people. They choose a small building to the east, not nearly big enough, and left the big building (to the west) sit unused. Total chaos. Most people in the line for hours frooze and were not let in. I finally caved in and cheated by following a woman in line with me. Security was all
wacky - situation was near riot. I more or less got shoved in past security with just a ultra brief pat down. Speech was only fair and sound system was flawed. NO WAY DO I VOTE CLINTON AFTER THIS!SCARY!

date posted: Jan 17, 2008 10:38:24 Reply Flag this comment as Spam or Inappropriate
Not Registered
Not Registered
This wasn't the fault of the local Democratic Central Committee. Don't blame people who were just trying to help. This was a Clinton campaign event and their people ran the show. They refused to pick a larger building and they didn't care about controlling the line.

The Central Committee people were just faithful Democratic volunteers who Mike Thompson had convinced to help out. For the record, I wasn't one of them. I would never volunteer for the Clinton campaign!

Anyway, it was a total mess because the Clinton campaign didn't give a sh** about anybody but the press, who took up a significant portion of the room. Almost everyone else who was able to get in was on a VIP list of local politicos.

This was a publicity event, nothing more. He didn't even answer audience questions like he said he would. If I had known that I might have let someone else have my seat.

date posted: Jan 17, 2008 11:20:58 Reply Flag this comment as Spam or Inappropriate
Not Registered
Not Registered
For everyone that has labeled the event as a 'publicity stunt', isn't that what all political campaigns are? At least Clinton took the time to (briefly) visit the Northcoast...I'm not holding my breath on seeing Romney/McCain here anytime soon. As for the venue being too small...Where else would you suggest? The real issue is that as a community we don't have a venue capable of accomodating everyone that wanted in last night. Lastly, it's only human nature under those circumstances that people will game the system and there will be honest people feeling literally and figuratively 'left out in the cold'...to hold that against the Dems is unfair, to not expect problems given only 24 hours or preparation is unrealistic.

I'm sure when the Republicans hold their 'publicity stunt' here w/ Romney or McCain, it will be done MUCH better, right?

date posted: Jan 17, 2008 11:47:24 Reply Flag this comment as Spam or Inappropriate
Not Registered
Not Registered
"As for the venue being too small...Where else would you suggest?"

If I remember correctly, there are other, larger, buildings there at Redwood Acres. Then there's also the Muni, the Veterans Hall, HSU, and a few other places I can think of.

Look, Mike, I'm an HCDCC member, and I'm not criticizing Dems in general, but this was a horribly organized event. It wouldn't have been hard to put together something better.

date posted: Jan 17, 2008 11:52:10 Reply Flag this comment as Spam or Inappropriate
Not Registered
Not Registered
Darsh-
What is your problem?
Did you not read my post?
I was in line in front of you, up near the fire hydrant. I was waiting for about one hour longer than you so don't act like me getting in was 'unfair'.
Anyone who was in the first 400 people deserved to get in. When the Clinton campaign said that there was no line and it was first to the door I SIMPLY PLAYED BY THE RULES LAID OUT BY THE CLINTONS. And my group, who was all in line longer than you, made it in.
Don't be a whiner and blame me. I had exactly as much right to get in as you. I simply did something about it. Do you want to see my card #222?
I am suprised you responded to me in such a juvinile way.

date posted: Jan 17, 2008 12:45:38 Reply Flag this comment as Spam or Inappropriate
darsh
darsh
Jason- Sorry man I did not intend to upset you. My point is that sure, you had #222 but what about the lady up front who had #73 and didn't get in? She was in line even longer than you, but you surely cut in front of her. Cutting in line just encourages the situation to get out of hand. You weren't helping, you were just looking out for yourself like all the others who bum-rushed the door.

Why did we line up at all? It was just a big free for all in the end. I guess I'm just trying to point out that many, many people had a negative experience because of a lack of organization, and because you and other like-minded people put their own desires ahead of others.

I Myrtletown
date posted: Jan 17, 2008 13:02:59 Reply Flag this comment as Spam or Inappropriate
Not Registered
Not Registered
"My point is that sure, you had #222 but what about the lady up front who had #73 and didn't get in?"

I absolutely agree with you. That is why it was even more wrong what occured. I will admit that I was 'lookin out' for my section of the line, about 20 people who were in front or back of me, not attending the event with me. We did have almost five hours to bond.

Please also keep in mind that I was happy to wait in line. That is why I got there so early and indeed did wait in line while all the kids were actually cutting up front. I ONLY moved my place in line when the Clinton Campaign said "there is no line" and that we were essentially all suckers.

The only just outcome would be the first four hundred be let in. You know, "first come first serve"? But for us to bicker about who had what number in line is silly. If you had a number that mean you deserved to get in. When they said it didn't matter and they don't care if there is a riot, we were all forced to play along side the actual 'cutters'. When they said there is no line, there therefor could be no cutting. Sucks. Unfair. Dissappointing.

Let's not hate on eachother, as WE all acted appropriately. Remember that all the people in the first 100 were letting throngs of people 'cut' in with them. Between the time the kid handed out the 'secret service' sheets and the index lady our count had gotten pushed back by 50 cutters, from 175 to 222.
The fault lies with those who cheated in the original line and then those who, instead of creating order, chose to eliminate the line completely.

date posted: Jan 17, 2008 13:09:00 Reply Flag this comment as Spam or Inappropriate
Not Registered
Not Registered
If you guys want to get mad at somebody, get mad at me and everybody else that got in because we were on a VIP list. Between us, the press, and the law enforcement, there wasn't much room left for people who had waited in line. Cutting sucks, but it wasn't the main problem. The main problem was that the Clinton campaign DIDN'T CARE if any of you got in. They got their media coverage and they left.

date posted: Jan 17, 2008 13:11:44 Reply Flag this comment as Spam or Inappropriate
Not Registered
Not Registered
"and because you and other like-minded people put their own desires ahead of others"

My only desire was that the first 400 people there be let in. I wanted only what was fair.

No matter how much you try to blame me and the people who were patiently waiting in line for what happened, it was not our fault.

Blame the campaign, the HCDCC and the cheaters, but don't blame those who were there when they should have been.

date posted: Jan 17, 2008 13:12:32 Reply Flag this comment as Spam or Inappropriate
Not Registered
Not Registered
Anyone interested in discussing this poorly planned and implemented event can e-mail and call KHUM this Saturday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. as this will be the main topic of that day's program (besides music of course).

For the record we arrived at 2:40 p.m. and were left out in the cold.

Michael Moore, jr.
www.khum.com
707-786-5486
studio@khum.com

date posted: Jan 17, 2008 13:17:42 Reply Flag this comment as Spam or Inappropriate
darsh
darsh
Jason, thank you for your reply, and I am sorry I offended you. I don't blame you for what you did. My group tried going to the front in the end, too, right about when the entire line began to turn into more of a mob scene, which must have been only shortly after your section decided to make a dash for it.

Yeah, it was just out of hand over all. I think the numbered tickets really messed things up because it gave people the impression that they would have a place in line to get in, so they didn't really care if others were crowding up and cutting in front. How could the cheaters get in without a number, we thought. So most of us just held tight, waited respectfully.

Sure seems like the HCDCC blew it. Who's idea was it to ignore the numbers anyway? I think it was the guy from the video.

I Myrtletown
date posted: Jan 17, 2008 13:20:34 Reply Flag this comment as Spam or Inappropriate
darsh
darsh
Shane- good point.

I Myrtletown
date posted: Jan 17, 2008 13:22:55 Reply Flag this comment as Spam or Inappropriate
Not Registered
Not Registered
Thank you.

"How could the cheaters get in without a number, we thought. So most of us just held tight, waited respectfully."

I remember people in our group having the exact same discussion. Sad. My Grandma almost accompanied me. I would have died if she waited in the cold all day to see her hero and got left out.

Thank you for the reply. Sorry if I took things too personally. I am still upset over what happened last night.

date posted: Jan 17, 2008 13:23:33 Reply Flag this comment as Spam or Inappropriate
michele
michele
The fact that the Clinton campaign announced, "there is no line" is what irks me most. We the people made a line. One industrious woman rallied to organize us with tickets. We all stood around for hours with our "golden ticket" with smiles on our faces. There was a line.

Who then, dropped the ball?

No one told us that there was no line. I found out when they announced that the hall was full (I was at the entrance at this point - I wouldn't have heard the man yelling otherwise).

What it comes down to is that some idiot (or group of idiots) decided that our tickets didn't matter. One or two people ruined it for everyone by not enforcing our self-imposed order.

If the HCDCC organizer or one of Clinton's lackeys had the political savvy to recognize the ticket system instead of acting like a bouncer at a trendy nightclub I might still considering supporting Hillary's campaign.

No way am I going to vote for her if that is the kind of people she plans to appoint.

date posted: Jan 17, 2008 13:40:44 Reply Flag this comment as Spam or Inappropriate
Not Registered
Not Registered
Why does everybody keep saying the HCDCC blew it? Milt Boyd and some other HCDCC MEMBERS were involved in organizing the event, along with Liz from Thompson's office, and the Clinton campaign. But it was not HCDCC as an entity that put it on. I'm an HCDCC member and I never once received any kind of communication that we were the ones responsible for organizing it. Whoever was in charge deserves blame. I don't know if that was someone employed by the campaign, Milt, Liz, or someone else, but whoever they were, they were not acting on behalf of HCDCC. They were acting as a volunteer or employee of the Clinton campaign.

date posted: Jan 17, 2008 13:48:12 Reply Flag this comment as Spam or Inappropriate
darsh
darsh
Heh, shane. I guess we just all assumed the HCDCC was ultimately organizing the thing, seeing as how it was a blue rally and, well, all the official information regarding the event and venue came from them. Also, the big post on the front page of their website says "The Humboldt County Democratic Central Committee is pleased to announce that President Bill Clinton will be in Eureka on Wednesday, January 16th."

They also state: "It is open to the public and all Democrats are invited to attend." So actually, considering the evidence, maybe you can understand why we all think the HCDCC fumbled.

I Myrtletown
date posted: Jan 17, 2008 13:53:58 Reply Flag this comment as Spam or Inappropriate
Not Registered
Not Registered
Maybe they were. My understanding is that they weren't. But if they were I'm probably resigning because this sh** is retarded.

date posted: Jan 17, 2008 13:55:49 Reply Flag this comment as Spam or Inappropriate
Not Registered
Not Registered
I guess I should say "we" instead of "they."

This may be a situation of Milt Boyd making decisions without telling us.

date posted: Jan 17, 2008 13:56:09 Reply Flag this comment as Spam or Inappropriate
michele
michele
Shane - that is so unfortunate because it sounds like a few volunteers have sullied the reputation of the HCDCC.

I think we are just searching for someone to take responsibility for the debacle and let us know that our mistreatment has been noticed.

Like I keep alluding, this is no different from the current administration. Did Bush send Mike Brown in to sabotage Clinton's grass roots campaign? Good job, Brownie!

date posted: Jan 17, 2008 14:15:04 Reply Flag this comment as Spam or Inappropriate
michele
michele
Also, after listening to Bill's speech and how many minutes he spent listing off the places where he had spoken recently and the number of people crowded around outside each venue wishing they could get in, I feel scammed.

I mean, Shane must be right that it was all a big stunt. The Clinton campaign didn't actually want us in the hall (wasn't he supposed to answer questions?) they just wanted our bodies to count outside the building to brag about in the next speech!

Boy am I glad I didn't turn in the "secret service" questionnaire (actually Hillary's supporter sign-up form for those of you who weren't there).

date posted: Jan 17, 2008 15:15:08 Reply Flag this comment as Spam or Inappropriate
Not Registered
Not Registered
I'm going to seem like a bad guy here because I got in after arriving at 5:30 --not only did I get in, I got to meet and speak with the President. How did this happen? I didn't cut in line. In fact, I didn't wait in line. Someone mentioned earlier that VIPs, Journalist, got in and that didn't leave room for much else. Instead of waiting in a line where (upon arriving) I heard no one would be let in, I walked towards the area where people WERE getting in.

This wasn't some Lord of the Rings movie event where you can catch the show tomorrow... this was a once in a Humboldt County resident lifetime opportunity. I think if you really wanted to get in you could have. My sister and I didn't give up at least seeing him --which opened up the opportunity to go in and take a photo. Once we were in she coaxed a guard into letting her sit in the aisle while I blended into a crowd of listeners. I remained for the rest of the speech and spoke with him.

I have no shame about making it in --although I agree with many --the organizers chose an awful location and really chalked it up to their VIPs and the press... thousands of people may have waited in line, and those who really wanted to see him got in.

date posted: Jan 17, 2008 15:23:25 Reply Flag this comment as Spam or Inappropriate
Not Registered
Not Registered
you are a bad guy, after reading this you still had the guts to post the fact that you cheated over 1000 people out of a seat...I saw old ladies in wheel chairs and little kids out there for HOURS before. Instead of bragging you should feel ashamed...some of the cutters I could see but you intentionally acted as a bad person.

date posted: Jan 17, 2008 15:30:14 Reply Flag this comment as Spam or Inappropriate
Not Registered
Not Registered
Another correction:

I realize I should have written "this sh** lame." Maybe nobody cares, but it seemed terribly immature to me. The swearing was justified, but not the negative use of "retarded." My apologies.

date posted: Jan 17, 2008 15:33:46 Reply Flag this comment as Spam or Inappropriate
darsh
darsh
Salvador: Wow. Thanks a lot. Thanks for rubbing it in, too. Good for you, I hope you feel great about yourself and your youtube video given that so many honest people waiting so many hours only to have you and bunch of other late-comers waltz in at the last possible minute and shove your way inside. Aren't we just a bunch of chumps.

I Myrtletown
date posted: Jan 17, 2008 15:35:00 Reply Flag this comment as Spam or Inappropriate
Not Registered
Not Registered
This event was horribly mismanaged. I was quite surprised to see how badly Humboldt County residence wrote of their neighbors, who had stood in a line for upwards of six hours and cut in front of them. Shame on you and your families for behaving like a bunch of spoiled fifth graders. If these are the same family values that are being passed down to the next generation than we as Americans are all doomed.Cheat to get a seat..... people are unreal. This whole experience really sheds some light on the whole campaigning process- get 50 of your best photogenic friends to caravan around the united states with you, then give them seats and allow local citizens who stand outside in the elements to here what your campaign message is the shaft. Media and Friends of the Clintons made up a good third of inside crowd. The others stood outside like a bunch of sheep to hear what this cited adulterer had to say. BAAAAAhhhhhh.......we are all sheep. now go be good Americans and shop till u drop!

date posted: Jan 17, 2008 15:37:08 Reply Flag this comment as Spam or Inappropriate
Not Registered
Not Registered
Carol, I'm not a bad guy because I stood in a line that I learned wasn't going to get me in. I did what I could to see him speak. I wrote "UN-DEC DID!" down my left palm and put it on the window where I was not in line. This got the attention of the event organizers. If it weren't for people like myself and sympathetic guards, 200 less people (who did get to come in for a short while and then leave) wouldn't have gotten the chance to do so.

Like I said, if you really wanted to get in you could have. It took a some thinking and A LOT of luck to get in.

date posted: Jan 17, 2008 15:37:26 Reply Flag this comment as Spam or Inappropriate
michele
michele
Carol is right about you, Salvador. You don't just seem like a bad guy - you are a bad guy. You didn't wait in line - despite knowing and recognizing that hundreds of people were there before you. Many of us took time off from work to be there.

No, it wasn't those of use who "really wanted to see him" that got in - if you had wanted to see him as badly as me you would have been there three hours earlier - it was a bunch of self-centered jerks.

Shame on you!

date posted: Jan 17, 2008 15:40:49 Reply Flag this comment as Spam or Inappropriate
Not Registered
Not Registered
Darsh: I don't feel sorry for anyone who stood in line and got angry instead of finding other means honest means for getting in. I broke no law and no guard told me to go away.

date posted: Jan 17, 2008 15:46:09 Reply Flag this comment as Spam or Inappropriate
michele
michele
Just because you broke no laws and no guard stepped in to stop you does not mean you were honest!

You should feel sorry that those of us who waited our turn were misinformed and misguided.

We played by the rules and you didn't. There are no laws about cutting in line - just as you don't get arrested for cheating at little league. That doesn't make you honest at all.

date posted: Jan 17, 2008 16:01:10 Reply Flag this comment as Spam or Inappropriate
Not Registered
Not Registered
Michele: You chose to remain misinformed and misguided. You are obviously unhappy about your choice.

date posted: Jan 17, 2008 16:09:42 Reply Flag this comment as Spam or Inappropriate
darsh
darsh
Salvador I have to agree with Michele and Carol. By your logic, a student who cheats on a test didn't do anything wrong, they just wanted the "A" more? Someone who doesn't pay their taxes just wants to keep the money more than honest tax payers? Chances are they won't get caught, but that doesn't make it acceptable!

Your attitude definitely represents a big problem in society, and especially in Humboldt County. You don't think the rules apply to you. You think you know better, and unfortunately your poisonous behavior is reinforced when you get what you want--in this case, access to see Clinton without following basic societal rules while countless elderly women and honest voters get shoved aside to make way for the rule breakers.

I Myrtletown
date posted: Jan 17, 2008 16:15:06 Reply Flag this comment as Spam or Inappropriate
Not Registered
Not Registered
"Like I said, if you really wanted to get in you could have. It took a some thinking and A LOT of luck to get in. "

I'm not saying I didn't get in because I did get in. I just waited ALL DAY!! I DID WANT IT!! SO I SAT AND WAITED and lost money for leaving work...you cheated and then posted it on the internet. I remember a time where people respected each other...

date posted: Jan 17, 2008 16:16:48 Reply Flag this comment as Spam or Inappropriate
michele
michele
Salvador - Are you kidding me? I did nothing but ask questions the whole time we were in line. Every time a volunteer walked by someone from my group (a dozen or so of us that bonded in line) stopped them for an update. At regular intervals one of us would walk up to the front for a progress report.

The whole time we were in line we were gathering information about the situation - and fostering dialogs between strangers that never talk. We were lied to - plain and simple - multiple times throughout the afternoon. Whether the volunteers themselves were uninformed or simply malicious in their intent, I did not chose to be taken advantage of by last minute revelers running to the front and clueless organizers selectively admitting supporters.

You are wrong: I'm pleased with my choice. I would feel bad about myself had I cheated everyone around me. What I'm unhappy about is your choice to cheat me.

date posted: Jan 17, 2008 16:17:16 Reply Flag this comment as Spam or Inappropriate
Not Registered
Not Registered
Darsh: I'm not the narcissist you paint me to be. By your logic and attitude, I would disagree with you and say people who feel as envious as you are the sort who never try for themselves and wait for government handouts. I'm a left leaning liberal and proud of it. I was persistent and ambitious about seeing him. I didn't think I'd get it, but having those two qualities helped me get in.

date posted: Jan 17, 2008 16:54:43 Reply Flag this comment as Spam or Inappropriate
Not Registered
Not Registered
An update:

In the last few hours I have been informed by many other HCDCC members that we had no control over the event. I trust that this is true. It appears that the Clinton campaign was jerking everyone around.

date posted: Jan 17, 2008 19:09:09 Reply Flag this comment as Spam or Inappropriate
Not Registered
Not Registered
This guy salvador would cut in front of his own ailing mother to get a look at his mentor slick Willy. You are to be commended for your noble actions. You make all left leaning liberals look great! Do us all a favor and don't procreate. Thanx,

The management

date posted: Jan 17, 2008 20:25:05 Reply Flag this comment as Spam or Inappropriate
Boymstlikely2
Boymstlikely2
Click to see Boymstlikely2's details.
Wow Darsh, you have very little action here for a long time, and BAM!

Please, all of you wonderful people, like Carol, do not give Salvador a bad time. He is a symptom of a problem those of us who try to do things in a respectful and courteous way must endure. When I first heard about the long lines, and people cutting through, I thought to myself that I could not do such a thing, no matter who was speaking. I am just one of those people, like many who waited patiently out at Redwood Acres, who would try to do things in a respectful manner. We people of the nicer ilk, have to tolerate the cut throats who will "get theirs" no matter who they have to step on. I am just wondering if anybody even tried to make a case for the line of people while the cutters did their thing.

Oh, and to answer Salvador...yes everybody their could have pushed their way in if they wanted. However you fail to realize that the world is not made up of cut throats and selfish people. A person such as myself would have seen the bull rush of people trying to get in once the line concept was tossed, and just turned away. I would have like to see him, but hey, I do not want to be lumped in with an Angry Mob.

SO much for all the hype this visit had before the man arrived. I almost wished he had never come.(almost)

-boy

Where have all the Merrymakers gone?
date posted: Jan 17, 2008 20:33:26 Reply Flag this comment as Spam or Inappropriate
Ken
Ken
Click to see Ken's details.
How can anybody say this event was a bust. It was fantastic and unfortunate. Fantastic in that it had a lot of enthusiasm and unfortunate that there was not enough planning for controlling a line coming in to the event
For a contrast at how Republicans have handled similar events try remembering when W. Bush ran the first time. His brother Jebs son was the featured relative of a presidential candidate and as a grandson Of Bush the first it seemed there was going to be a large crowd at Fortuna's River Lodge. Security was tight and the press was invited. The press had to stay outside.
To get inside you had to pay $200 and to get a picture with Bush's nephew would be an extra $100. Only about 45 people showed up. I would take the chaos with the large enthusiastic crowd at a Clinton rally any day as being representative of democracy.

date posted: Jan 17, 2008 21:10:26 Reply Flag this comment as Spam or Inappropriate
Not Registered
Not Registered
I know it would have been kinda cool to see a President, but you should have stayed home and listened to it on the radio. Even the radio people said people who listened to it on the radio had better audio quality. The D.J.'s stated that people in the room could barely here the him let alone the people outside. Oh, and the more important part is that I stayed warm.

date posted: Jan 17, 2008 21:48:14 Reply Flag this comment as Spam or Inappropriate
Not Registered
Not Registered
I think everyone is being just a little envious that this "Salvador" character got in. It wasn't hard to get in, the guards could be coaxed by beautiful women, oh wait... theres a lack of them here in Humboldt. Oopsy~

date posted: Jan 17, 2008 23:40:06 Reply Flag this comment as Spam or Inappropriate
Not Registered
Not Registered
a.) I was #58 ... we got there at 12:30
b.) I also had spoken with Milt the day before and he said that we were on the list.
c.) having a bit (chuckle) to do with elections around Hum et al - I put in a 'plan b' and had a freind checking out if a line was forming, and to call me if it did. That is why we came out at 12:30!
d.) we got there and went to the door was were told no one knew anything about a list - Milt was in a training meeting.
e.) we went back to our place in line and watched ..
f.) watched 2 former Mayors be turned away - who came then came back - well one walked up frist and said "whats up what are you doing IN LINE?" the other came up after trying to get in. We then tried with the mayor(s) and were all again told there was no list - and still no milt. (Weird the gentalman who said he owned the Gingerbread House B&B didn't reconize the old mayor of Eureka nor the one from Arcata ... ???
g.) we then filled out the numbers (58, 59, 60, 61) vs. the 'party of 4' that was supposed to have reseved seats ...
h.) saw Milt - he said "I don't know what's going on - nor what happend to the list - its all out of control"
--- he 'felt' like something out of Hunter S. Thompson .. one of the Mayors and I walked up to find out what was up - and going on and he had NO IDEA!
= NO ONE had any idea
= I've seen this at ELECTIONS and all = everyone wants to be "mellow" or NOT the BOSS ... and be "loved" or "liked" so no one makes a dission and suddenly things fall apart - or nothing is getting done - but in "Dem mellow" that's how it goes.

I've seen the same thing again and again in elections (as I said) its really scary.

That whole "someone should do something" - "I don't know what happened to the list"

Gawds the dog ate Milt's home work! .. is what it felt like to me .. typical Hum Dem's ... gawds .. wonder how we get anything done ...

Okay so then we got #'s and that's good - and we're up in front (respectivly) of the line ...

The guy at the front suddenly is just letting the CUTTERS IN = he was a local person Hum Dem's vollenter ... he caught that "I don't want to be boss and tell people they can't go in" thingy - like wanted to be mellow -- and liked or not say "no" and be bossy ..

which of course someone NEEDS to be to make something LIKE #'s work.

So were up there and I just went "Okay everyone - who has #'s LOWER then 58-61?"

No one said anything - so we went in - my lady stood there waiting for the guy there to say it was "OKAY" because he 'boyfriend' (ie me) is so PUSHY (wink)

I realized that she wasn't with me - so I went back and she was standing there being "good" waiting to be told to go - while people were SWARMING IN .. (she's a "nice Dem" too = doesn't want to be a "BOSS" (yes its a 4 letter word - but someone has to do it)

I picked up her hand - shoved her number in the 'gaurds' face and said #59 .. anyone one with somehting lower then 59? - no one said anything and we went in ...

THEN INSIDE IT GOT REALLY WEIRD!!!

-- there were all these chairs with YELLOW "RESEVED" signs on them

--- I sat down and shook my head - I guess my amazement was so visable (dress very well so its not like I looked weird in any other way! = maybe over dressed by otherwise just fine!)

Anyway I'm hanging my head and shaking it NO - back and forth and gritting my teeth --

a Hum Shariff came over and said "is everything alright sir?"

I explaind the C*F* that went on out side - and asked about the 'resevied seats' - he said "Oh I understand they didnt' show up"

--- gawds about 40 empty seats - all with Yellow tags .. and I'm thinking that "my gawds thats our seats and the 2 mayors and so forth - the verious people I saw walk up front then get turned away and walk away ....

My thought was 'what will Bill think of Humboldt with all those empty seats right in front! = 40 seats = 10% empty for 400 person room!

and THEN one of the Dem's vol. comes in and counts them and starts filling them with people who were 'in line' or where ever ...

it was amazing - typical HCDCC screw up!

Do you remember the '$25 dinner' that 'someone' forgot to call the serves. So it was cold beans?

Or the event that they couldn't figure out why no one showed - then realized they had it on the day of "Empty Bowls" ... I could go on and on ... the dinners they put on - with out enough food ... endless ..

over the years ... just EXPECT IT - I call those people "Campaign Barbie" They PLAY at elections then when things fall apart they go 'victim' and also do the 'we did our best' dance ...

No you didn't - I've come in and pulled your ass(ets) out of the fire on enough elections that I know your idea of 'working on an election' is to get wine and cheese and sit around and talk - or be brought in at the last moment on a phone bank to do 1/2 hour 'show' calls to get the 'feel' of what the REAL vollenters are doing - -

its a 'in click' which is cool - but think this is 'weird' or out of control =

you haven't been around enough elections here in Humboldt - it was pertty typical of events - just it had 1,500 or so people involved - not the usal few so the EGG on the face was seen by more ...

ON THE OTHER HAND - go out and GET INVLOVED AND CHANGE THINGS -- but watch it - you make people look bad if your too good - and the 'posers' don't like that - chuckle ..

and next time just bank on it -

I always EAT before a DEM's function / never know if there's going to be enough food. And like this thing - a back up plan = sure I was SUPPOSED to have Reserved seats - but heck - trust the HCDCC or any of them to do that? -- good luck ..
but that's the too many things go - so I'm used to it .. have a BACK UP PLAN .. you civi's just arn't uesd to it ...

date posted: Jan 18, 2008 0:11:38 Reply Flag this comment as Spam or Inappropriate
Not Registered
Not Registered
shane writes:
Why does everybody keep saying the HCDCC blew it? Milt Boyd and some other HCDCC MEMBERS were involved in organizing the event, along with Liz from Thompson's office, and the Clinton campaign. But it was not HCDCC as an entity that put it on. I'm an HCDCC member and I never once received any kind of communication that we were the ones responsible for organizing it. Whoever was in charge deserves blame. I don't know if that was someone employed by the campaign, Milt, Liz, or someone else, but whoever they were, they were not acting on behalf of HCDCC. They were acting as a volunteer or employee of the Clinton campaign.

Note this is what I'm talking about - NO ONE will take EVER any responcablity for these things. They just shove the blame around.

NOTE: Shane partner - HOW did the HCDCC baner apper on the back wall? Just by magic or was it some BAD HILLERY, OBAMA, BUSH, EDWARDS person who put it there with OUT permission.

Oh that's right NO ONE NEEDS permisson to do things - they just some how "misteirously" happen!

you guys always SO never fail to amaze me with what depths of errors you go threw ... this one JUST HAPPNED to happen out side the reg_ bunch that go to HCDCC events - so 1,500+ people got to erperance your disfucntion ...

Really folks come to MORE HCDCC events - you'll get to see more - infact come to eleections - and be part of them if you want to see stuff that will make you want to beat your head (or someones) against a wall because of the ClusterF* way stuff is handled.

I'm sure some smarty pants will say "oh this guy can't spell" then they'll acuse me of being from 'the other side" --

chuckle -- like I say GET INVOLVED - and see if I'm wrong - you'll be banging your (or someones) head against the wall - before long I tell you!

date posted: Jan 18, 2008 8:14:30 Reply Flag this comment as Spam or Inappropriate
darsh
darsh
Well, as boymostlikely2 mentioned above, this has been one heck of an active thread. The event in question was very, very exciting for all of us, and we all know that somehow, somebody made a mistake with the event management, otherwise there wouldn't be so many people piping up about feeling mistreated.

The local paper has the HCDCC washing their hands of all responsibility, and the HCDCC says it was the Hillary campaign's fault.

I guess it doesn't really matter at this point, and we can just hope that future events don't get so out of hand if anything like this ever comes to Humboldt again (rumors are already in print).

Rick thanks for sharing your story, and thanks to everyone else for dropping by and joining the discussion, providing new information and sharing your opinions ... keep it going if you would like.

As for Salvador, I can't help but point out that he doesn't like to be cheated out of his right to be treated equally, yet he'll come in here and brag about cheating honest citizens and grandmas out of a chance to see their hero at a community event.

If you ever realize why it hurts your community when you cheat, we will gladly accept your apology, Salvador (and so will Bill).

I Myrtletown
date posted: Jan 18, 2008 9:50:42 Reply Flag this comment as Spam or Inappropriate
Carol
Carol
Click to see Carol's details.
I am not the previous Carol that wrote on this thread. I am Carol Conners and live in Loleta. I am sorry to hear you were not able to get in, darsh.
Here are some of the issues I would like to address:

1. Regarding the numbers: Someone in the line took it upon themselves to write numbers on pieces of paper and hand them out to the people in line. This was not done by the Clinton Campaign or the local dems.

2. Before the doors opened, I had to tell many friends that I could not let them in. It wasn't my decision to make. I had to tell them to go stand in line.

3. We were asked to volunteer to help with set-up and run the event. Sure as workers, we were given a place to sit. I didn't have a place to sit, until one of my fellow democrats gave me a chair. Greg and I were outside working with the fire chief counting people to let them in up to the last minute. The YouTube video that is floating around the internet was Greg, trying to let more people in under the instruction of the fire chief, and the building was already at its legal limit by then.

4. VIP's include elected officials that were democrats; also at least one tribal leader of a sovereign nation was on the VIP list.

5. Several of our folks walked the line, although not all the way to the barns, and told people what they could/or could not bring in. The Clinton people were outside working the crowd as well.

6. Regarding family members of workers being allowed in, I did bring my 13 year old daughter and her friend. The kids helped where they could. Her school was very supportive of her opportunity to help with the event – a once in a lifetime opportunity.

7. The only exception that I requested to be let in, and it was granted, was for a female WWII Veteran.

8. When people told me that other people were sneaking into the line, I alerted Greg and the others. Al, many people in line would point out the "cutters". Greg wouldn't let them in.

9. When we ere told there was a limit, the sheriff's deputies and fireman allowed people to come though the foyer and take pictures. I believe it was the fire chief who opened the side door, so that the folks outside could look in. There were speakers set-up outside so people could listen, and at the last minute, another building was opened, so people could listen.

10. All and all, the event was pulled-off and a success. You can download the entire speech off the Time Standard website. Be careful: it took over an hour to download it on our home computer, but it is something we can put on a DVD and save for prosperity.

11. As a former choir director, one thing I have learned, no matter how much effort one put's out, 1/2 of the people will hate what you do, but then the other 1/2 of the people will love what you do. Such is life.

12. And the bottom line, now matter what political party you are in or not, GOTV – Get Out The Vote! You have the Power!

date posted: Jan 18, 2008 14:51:04 Reply Flag this comment as Spam or Inappropriate
Not Registered
Not Registered
Unfortunately, people like salvador will always be a part of our society. There were hundreds of them at the fairgrounds, cutters, cheaters, opportunists. All enabled to do what they did by the planners of this event who lacked the vision to NUMBER THE FREAKING LINE! All of the negative issues from this event stem from that initial failure (and of course the small size of the building.

Carol, I appreciate all the work that volunteers did in a tough position what with all the salvadors running around, but you shouldn't have had to.

NUMBER THE LINE, then send an ADULT down the line every 15 minutes WITH REAL INFORMATION! There were plenty of policemen and officials to guard the door, 2 or 3 volunteers could have easily numbered and managed that line. Better luck next time!

For the record, I showed up at 4:00 and was approximately #550. When informed we wouldn't be getting in, most of the people were still excited that Bill was here and that we might still get a chance to see and hear him.

Thank you very much to whoever was responsible for keeping the doors open and especially the supply door on the west side of the building. At one point or another it was possible for everyone to get a clear view of Bill, and the atmposhpere outside was still pretty electric!

date posted: Jan 18, 2008 15:17:30 Reply Flag this comment as Spam or Inappropriate
darsh
darsh
Just dug this up: Hillary Clinton Sighting in Myrtletown.

I Myrtletown
date posted: Jan 18, 2008 18:20:48 Reply Flag this comment as Spam or Inappropriate
Not Registered
Not Registered
Carol Conners mentions how the sheriff's deputy allowed people to come in and take pictures. I was part of that group of people ---but one of the event organizers recognized me with the "UNDECIDED" letters I wrote on my hand and allowed me to stay in.

Justin, Darsh, and others here who want to make me a scapegoat for not getting in are a bunch of envious angry people who in the end didn't get what they want, and judging by the way they are handling themselves in this forum, didn't deserve to be let in.

The people you should be angry with are secret service who had specific requirements for the size and location of the buildings, the people who ultimately chose the venue, and time --cause there wasn't enough of it to go around to set up this historical event.

date posted: Jan 18, 2008 23:28:28 Reply Flag this comment as Spam or Inappropriate
Carson Park Ranger
Carson Park Ranger
Click to see Carson Park Ranger's details.
"The people you should be angry with are secret service who had specific requirements for the size and location..."

President Clinton is free to go where he chooses, the Secret Service does not dictate his schedule.

date posted: Jan 20, 2008 8:24:47 Reply Flag this comment as Spam or Inappropriate
PastillatheMannequin
PastillatheMannequin
Click to see PastillatheMannequin's details.
:: wonders how this event became an episode of Survivor ::

date posted: Jan 20, 2008 22:27:52 Reply Flag this comment as Spam or Inappropriate
darsh
darsh
date posted: Feb 04, 2008 14:09:13 Reply Flag this comment as Spam or Inappropriate
Not Registered
Not Registered
But aren't scapegoats a great way to vent away that frustration! )

For the record, I am not an envious/angry person as you describe, just frustated at the unfair treatment received by so many hundreds of people that evening that could have been avoided with a little more foresight from the planners of the event. If you are one of those people, I am sorry if that rubs you the wrong way, but you should recognize the truth. Hundreds of good citizens should have been treated with more respect by you, and obviously a few hundred other cheaters who you couldn't keep under control.

Post a comment on this thread   Go back to previous page