Myrtletown Home PageCommunity ForumCommunity ClassifiedsBusinesses in MyrtletownWhere is Myrtletown?Free Wifi Hotspot
How to login?Close
If you have never logged in before, simply enter your name and email address and an account will be created for you with that information. Once your account is created, an email will be sent to you with further details.
Privacy PolicyClose
The email address you provide to Myrtletown.net when you register a new account will not be sold or shared with any 3rd party organization or entity. We may occasionally use your email address to send you important notices regarding the Myrtletown.net website or your account with Myrtletown.net. Your name will be visible on the Myrtletown.net web site, but your email address will always be hidden to other users and readers of the site.
Processing...
blabla
Create a New TopicClick and drag to move this box HelpClose

Bold  Italic  Underlined    Smiley    Link    Help    New blog entry.
SmilesClose
Error Close

Insert a linkClose

How to use the buttons?Close
To use the different text styles, highlight the text that you wish to make bold, italic, or underlined then click on the appropriate button. Or, click on a text style button and begin to type. When you want to return to normal text, click the button again.

Click on the smiley face to see a list of emoticons that you can insert into your message.

To insert a link, press the www button. You will be asked to type in the web address and the text you want to appear underlined. Or, just highlight the text you want to be a link and click the www button. A menu will appear for you to enter in the address.
Delete Message Close

Are you sure you want to delete this message?

Message Flagged! Close

Illegal Dumping in Myrtletown

Post a comment on this thread   Go back to previous page
Click to flag this message as spam, offensive, illegal, etc.
date posted: Nov 05, 2007 11:29:09 Reply Blog entry Flag this comment as Spam or Inappropriate
darsh
darsh
Click to see darsh's details.
Monthly piles of rubbish pollute Lucas Street forest

Did you know that Myrtletown has its own garbage dump? Lucas Street, between Myrtle and Harrison Ave, is apparently the unofficial waste drop-off for anyone too lazy and self-centered to drive their trash across town to the HWMA Transfer Station.

It's been happening for years, and it seems like nothing can be done to stop it. Recently most of the garbage has been carpet remnants, bags of clothes, roofing materials, and tires. Today, however, I found two CRT computer monitors, one buried under a pile of carpet pieces, and the other thrown into the runoff drainage area at the bottom of the gully on the north side of Lucas St, sitting in 6 inches of running water. Today's deposit of putrid waste also included about a half-dozen bicycle tires alongside a stack of old car and motorcycle tires.

See the rest of this article and more photos

I Myrtletown

date posted: Nov 05, 2007 11:30:57 Reply Flag this comment as Spam or Inappropriate
darsh
darsh
What can we do? Set up nightly sting operations? Maybe park an unused vehicle out there with a camera inside, recording the events each night? The losers who dump their waste here always use the same spot, just beneath the street light on the north side of the street, directly across from Hayden Lane.

today's pile of crap.

Suggestions? Further info? We taxpayers wind up paying for this in the end, because the county eventually sends a truck out to pick up the waste.

I Myrtletown
date posted: Nov 05, 2007 15:23:13 Reply Flag this comment as Spam or Inappropriate
Boymstlikely2
Boymstlikely2
Click to see Boymstlikely2's details.
On the road to Fieldbrook, there are signs offering rewards for reporting illegal dumping. I have no knowledge of how effective those signs are. The idea of a neighborhood watch is the most plausible approach at this point.

Where have all the Merrymakers gone?
date posted: Nov 08, 2007 18:57:13 Reply Flag this comment as Spam or Inappropriate
Not Registered
Not Registered
Click to see Not Registered's details.
While it certainly unfortunate (and obviously illegal) people are trash dumping; to blame it solely on an individual is not an accurate, or realistic, critique of the scenario...Instead of automatically labeling these people a criminals, one should take the time to consider what would be stopping or hindering these individuals from taking their trash to the "dump". For (one)example, people who are living paycheck to paycheck have, as we all do, many expenses to take into consideration when planning a monthly (or bi weekly) budget. Just paying rent, buying groceries, affording gas, and purchasing resources could strain even a family with two income earners. Now, I'm not advocating for trash dumping in the streets (although the argument has been made that centralizing our waste in one area is more toxic and damaging overall in comparison to the crimes alluded to in your article); however, before you go staking out the neighborhood and losing sleep, maybe you should look at the impact of the recent increase in rates at the "dump". Then go weigh the carpet you found, pretend it is you who makes $8.00/hr. working 35 hours a week (that is $280 a week, 560 biweekly, and 1,120 monthly(before taxes)), and add in car insurance and child care to the rent, groceries, and gas. Now, can you afford the dump? Don't give me the argument, "they just need to find a better job", because even if that person moves on to a better job, someone else will have to work that same $8.00/hr. job and be in the same boat. If you are unhappy with the illegal trash dumping, and I don't blame you if you are, stop blaming individuals and start critiquing the social structure around you (such as why does Eureka charge residents $30 a month to provide containers and pick up for recycling-doesn't the city make money off the recylcing, or are they being nice and not charging the recycling center?!?!)...Besides if nobody ever littered in places where people like you can see it, no one would be conscious of illegal dumping (because no one would see it!)...Furthermore, what do you think is more harmful, the minor trash dumping offenses, or the legal pollution from the local pulp mills? If you are interested in learning more about the "why's" of society, I recommend some sociology courses. Respectfully, Gerald Lynch

I am the default unregistered user account. Yay!
date posted: Nov 09, 2007 10:39:35 Reply Flag this comment as Spam or Inappropriate
michele
michele
Click to see michele's details.
Right, Gerald. Don't demand personal responsibility from anybody. It's OK to do illegal things if you can't afford to live otherwise. Laws are only for those of us who can afford it! Never mind the low-income individuals who aren't dumping illegally - the ones who spend their small paychecks being a responsible citizen. I'm sure it doesn't bother them at all that a bunch of criminals are dumping trash and dangerous materials in the name of income equality.

I take serious issue with the idea that dumping a CRT monitor near the ground water is a "minor trash dumping offense". These aren't yard clippings. There is a good reason you have to pay to dispose of computer equipment and it's not so the transfer station gets a bigger Christmas party.

If you are interested in learning more about the "why's" of recycling computers and electronics, I suggest you take some science classes. While you're at it, you might want to re-read your notes from your sociology courses. Someone dumping trash in the woods at 4am...somehow I doubt they are spending their saved cash on fruits and vegetables or daycare.

Down-to-earth ways to save time, money, and the planet. The Green Baby Guide
date posted: Nov 09, 2007 11:04:24 Reply Flag this comment as Spam or Inappropriate
olivier
olivier
Click to see olivier's details.
I take showers only once a week, because I can't afford wasting water. Same with toilets, I flush only when there are overflowing. So why would I bother taking my trashes to the dump?

Single male seeks double-jointed supermodel who owns a brewery and grows her own pot. Having open minded twin sister a plus.
date posted: Nov 09, 2007 12:38:55 Reply Flag this comment as Spam or Inappropriate
Not Registered
Not Registered
Thank you for responding to my reply with such passion, Michele. I agree dumping CRT monitors and other electronic equipment is dangerous and toxic for everyone in the community. My argument was not that illegal trash dumping is ok for those who reside in the lower social economic ranks of society. Rather I was pointing out structural constraints of an individual which may be motivation for such behavior.

Second, while your comment, "There is a good reason you have to pay to dispose of computer equipment..." is certainly full of emotion, you fail to mention what those "reasons" are. You do note that it isn't for a "bigger Christmas tree party", although I question that as well. Can you please explain to the general public who aren't as educated (which is undoubtedly a structural problem-prompt me I dare you!) as you seem to be on these "reasons". Do you actually know, or are just defending the ideological stance of individualism?
Regardless of your motives, as a result of your stance on recycling, I question how knowledgeable you are of the recycling process? Have you thought about (or researched) how toxic the process of recycling is for the immediate environment around recycling plants, not to mention how toxic it is for the workers at these plants?
Third, I take that you correlated my term "groceries" with you your idea of what groceries are, that is "fruits and vegetables" (an obvious class indicator?). Those who are poor may buy fruit and vegetables; however, for these families buying things which last longer (such as bread, peanut butter, bulk chicken, milk, and probably some junk food) is a more realistic account of what is happening. And you are right, those who are poor may not be spending money on daycare either because they don’t work (and watch their kids without pay), get paid for doing it themselves (as some do), or have other resources which help pay the bill, like a voucher. However, those who do work, make too much to get vouchers, and don't have other resources, are stuck with finding daycare (excuse me while I confirm with my notes from Marriage and Family, Social Problems, Environmental Crime, and my theory course-yeah were good).
Forth, sociology is a science. I would, and do, argue that it is the science which covers the most ground for any one discipline. From personal and group dynamics too the types of freedoms and constrains of different social structures which exist; and from components of criminology and deviance too the aspects of environmental crime, sociology covers them all.

It should also be recognized that these types of discussions are not to divide communities like ours; they are to create inquiry and increase our overall awareness. It does no good for anyone to point out the scenario in which they perceive without offering any solution.

A great book for all of us to look into is High Tech Trash , by Elizabeth Grossman. This book explains and examines some of the issues we are discussing today. Thank you again for being a passionate citizen, respectfully, Gerald Lynch.

date posted: Nov 09, 2007 14:31:00 Reply Flag this comment as Spam or Inappropriate
michele
michele
Click to see michele's details.
*sigh* Oh, Gerald.

Down-to-earth ways to save time, money, and the planet. The Green Baby Guide
date posted: Nov 09, 2007 14:56:09 Reply Flag this comment as Spam or Inappropriate
darsh
darsh
Wow Gerald, you have a marked ability to twist and misunderstand written information. I'm just going to pick one of your many misguided statements to respond to:

Gerald Lynch said:
"It does no good for anyone to point out the scenario in which they perceive without offering any solution."

Uh, what solution have you offered? So far you just seem to have misunderstood nearly everything Michele said, and then you appear to be trolling relentlessly, going off on tirades and clearly failing to process the statements you quoted. Or maybe you took it out of context on purpose.

In any case, some one intentionally filled their vehicle with toxic waste and refuse, drove it to Lucas Street in the middle of the night, and emptied the trash on the side of the road. But they also thought it would be nice to throw a CRT computer monitor into the gully, just for good measure.

Why, Gerald, are you sticking up for the person (or people) who committed this crime? Or wait, you're saying it's my fault?

I Myrtletown
date posted: Nov 09, 2007 16:28:20 Reply Flag this comment as Spam or Inappropriate
Boymstlikely2
Boymstlikely2
Click to see Boymstlikely2's details.
I am hesitant to respond to these comments, for fear Gerald is going to try to guess what Socio-Economic group I fall in with. I will save time, I am at Pelican Bay.

I wonder if somehow, a group of city officials, waste management professionals, and other civic groups could work together. They could come up with a waste disposal day, along the sames lines as the organization that provides free hazardous chemicals disposal (paint, anti-freeze, motor oil, etc.). It can happen a couple times a year, maybe more, and the community could help out. People could bring those items they could not afford to take to the dump on their own dime, or have volunteers come by and do a pick up.

It could be a start.

Oh, and thank heavens you are back Darsh! I enjoy the topics you blog about.

-boy

Where have all the Merrymakers gone?
date posted: Nov 09, 2007 17:38:17 Reply Flag this comment as Spam or Inappropriate
roberto
roberto
Click to see roberto's details.
Well actually there are services already established and currently working for free disposal of electronic waste. This is just one free service offered in the area. www.eurekareporter.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?ArticleID=22850

Upon some more research there is actually quite a bit more drop off sites offered on a regular basis. As well we can find many free drop off points for house hold wastes here in our own community. Here is a site with a guide to some of our recycling needs. www.humboldtrecycling.org/default.php?a=hhw
There are some small fees but plenty of free options.

As to the illegal dumping issue . I feel it is just pure laziness, lack of community respect, and the incapability of dealing with a situation in a responsible way. Poor or not we all have to do our part on the ground level to make the better decisions in dealing with our waste issues.

date posted: Nov 09, 2007 20:45:43 Reply Flag this comment as Spam or Inappropriate
roberto
roberto
Click to see roberto's details.
by the way olivier, are you french by any chance?

date posted: Nov 11, 2007 18:22:03 Reply Flag this comment as Spam or Inappropriate
Not Registered
Not Registered

Please excuse any grammar or spelling errors, I don't have the time to do a grammar check...I have to get to the dump before it closes…

Ah, yes. Reaction!!!!

Michele, I take the "sigh" as a reaction to reading Elizabeth Grossman’s book. The process of "recycling" is not all it is made out to be, is it? And it is certainly deflating!!!

Roberto, thank you for responding with such great links, those of us who have internet access will surely visit them...And I sympathize that you refuse to acknowledge the structural constraints (such as economic structure, education level, available resources (such as convenient internet access) which limit ones capability (which is different than ability)in dealing with social and civil responsibilities (not that anyone should be excluded of such duties) . I hope this forum simultaneously changes your opinion on these matters, while also inspiring you to create a program which makes this information (the content of the web sites) available to people without computers or internet.

And too "Boy", maybe you didn't scroll all the way down the page when you were reading. I specifically state that this was not to "divide the community"; and while I did imply a class perspective while responding to Michele's reply, it was only to give context to her comments by way of identifying where her perspective stems from, not to create a hostile dialog. Nor, was it for you to imply I am (or was) being judgmental, although this type of communication does seem to be fairly common in this arena (as you, Michele, and "Darsh" have so kindly illustrated). In contrast to my feelings toward your personally attacking comments; I feel that you have a great plan, and I am excited to see your first draft (which I hope you share with us in this forum) when it is finished!! That is what these discussions are for; to bringing people with different ideas and viewpoints together, not for conflict, but for creating solutions which work for all of us-- not just a select few.

And now for my harshest critic, "Darsh". "Darsh", I must ask, what was your goal or reasoning for such a blog? Was it to identify which people in the community have different ideologies than you, and then to denounce them? Or was it your chance for a writing critique? If the latter is the case, I give you an "F" on your critiquing of my writing. While the passion in your criticism of my writing (and I believe thinking, but you don't clarify) is fine, your technique and thoroughness are lacking in quality. Let me explain. You state that I don't "offer any solution", which is true to an extent (if your eyes were closed when you read my reply); however, in my first reply I did offer the first step for community activism, that is "...start critiquing the social structure around you". Although, I do admit, I attached a biased statement to the previous quote (which certainly didn't help the persuasive element of my argument), "Stop blaming the individual..." And in my second in reply, I offered some reading material which would help conceptualize the issues concerning recycling (and this book actually reinforces Michele's claim that these products "...aren't yard clippings"). And fair enough, I did not offer a plan or policy to implement next week, but I did stimulate "Boy" to present us with a make shift plan, and "Roberto" offered us some great links.
On another note, at the end of your last reply you asked, "Gerald, are you sticking up for the person (or people) who committed this crime...", and you add on a childish prompt, "...or are you saying it's my fault?" First off, I clearly state in the first paragraph of my second reply, "...I was pointing out structural constraints of an individual which may be motivation for such behavior", I was not condoning any illegal action, nor was "standing up for" any person who participates in this behavior! Rather, I offered a suggestion which implied that a critical assessment of waste management is needed. Furthermore, in the first sentence of my first reply to this story I wrote, "...it is certainly unfortunate...people are trash dumping; to blame it solely on an individual in not accurate..." In both statements, I am simply (and fairly clearly if you actually read it) noting the structural issues which coincide with deviant behavior. Additionally, as for you comment, "...or are you saying it's my fault?" I did not mention the name "Darsh" anywhere, nor did I imply that other people are responsible for someone else's trash. Again, I simply suggested we look at the social constraints, not solely at an individual's behavior.
Furthermore, "Darsh", if you are going to critique my writing, I would appreciate a more thorough effort, not the lack luster, lazy one you have put forth so far. For example, in your criticism of my "misunderstanding" of what Michele's written words were, you fail to identified what I misunderstood, leaving the audience wondering, "And what exactly did he misunderstand?" Along the same lines, you refer to my statement, "It does no good for anyone to point out the scenario in which they perceive without offering any solution", as "misguided". Please describe what is "misguided" about this statement? Will you also please identify where I am "trolling relentlessly" in my last reply? It seems easy enough to follow even if you have the shortest of attention spans?

This issue of trash dumping is a serious one. We should try to refrain from personal attacks (and I realize in the midst of writing this I am as guilty as anyone), and try to stay focused on the tenets of our ideas, viewpoints, and solutions. Thanks again to both "Boy" and "Roberto" for their ideas, knowledge, and suggestions; and for exposing some of the waste management resources within the community with those of us who were not aware of them.
"Darsh", I hope the tone between us lightens from irrational and intolerant to slightly more academic and forgiving. With all due respect, Gerald Lynch.
By the way, no one ever did pipe up about the issues concerning recycling, I will assume you are still reading Grossmans book. Another great reading is, When Smoke Ran Like Water, by Annette Davis. Here is to good readings and nice replies...

date posted: Nov 13, 2007 11:18:44 Reply Flag this comment as Spam or Inappropriate
darsh
darsh
Indeed! The fact that there are periodic free e-waste drop-offs all around the county makes this kind of dumping particularly despicable. I have spoken with some of the people who live across the street from where this dumping usually takes place, and they basically expressed sincere sadness about it. One neighbor said they were responsible for calling the county to pick the trash up, and that it is usually only a few days before the waste is gone.

Roberto: thanks for the links -- very informative. And I couldn't agree more that this kind of behavior boils to plain old laziness, disrespect, and irresponsibility.

Boy: thanks for the support! Topics in Myrtletown are scarce, but I'll try to keep it fresh when possible

I Myrtletown
date posted: Nov 29, 2007 21:31:05 Reply Flag this comment as Spam or Inappropriate
Carson Park Ranger
Carson Park Ranger
Click to see Carson Park Ranger's details.
No excuse for dumping.

date posted: Nov 30, 2007 9:11:00 Reply Flag this comment as Spam or Inappropriate
darsh
darsh
CPR: No doubt, there really is NO EXCUSE for that kind of dumping.

And yet it continues... this can of waste was discovered Thursday morning:

What a shame...

I Myrtletown
date posted: Jan 17, 2008 7:39:44 Reply Flag this comment as Spam or Inappropriate
Not Registered
Not Registered
Yeah it's pretty simple take your goddamm trash to the dump. That's not that complicated. People are so stupid in this town.

date posted: Apr 02, 2008 12:25:01 Reply Flag this comment as Spam or Inappropriate
Not Registered
Not Registered
I work at HWMA, if you can find a piece of garbage
with anything like a name ,or address you can turn
that in to the poilce or Department of Health.If
you realy want to get them set up a video camera
every night.Once you get them on video turn it in.

date posted: May 29, 2009 10:42:28 Reply Flag this comment as Spam or Inappropriate
MrDujuor
MrDujuor
Click to see MrDujuor's details.
I've seen the person (or one of the people) who dumps here. I drove by a balding older man walking his dog on 18th st. He was carrying an old blue suitcase. Later that day, while driving back home, I saw the same suitcase on the side of Lucas street in the same dump spot, along with a few other choice garbage items. A day or two later, the garabage dissapeared, as it always seems to. Kudos to whoever cleans up after Mr. Dumper, but I am afraid that he has become dependent on your efforts! Hey Mr. Dumper - I know where you live! Maybe next time I will collect your "lost" items for you and return them to your front lawn for you!!

date posted: Jan 07, 2014 16:03:12 Reply Flag this comment as Spam or Inappropriate
ElijahZ
ElijahZ
Click to see ElijahZ's details.
--MY SOLUTION-- as a resident in the area is to begin to voluntarily clean-up litter and plastic wastes along Lucas. In the past I have also worked on Fieldbrook Rd. All the squabbling I read in this comment section seems rather unproductive folks. Personally, the problem isn't individualized to the degree of blaming individuals for the dumping, but rather- like many of you, trying to consider the wider societal causes that stimulate this ongoing problem.
--FOR THE FUTURE-- I hope to motivate other teenage/ young adult friends of mine to volunteer time towards cleaning the litter from the community. Perhaps it will one day be possible to apply for grants, and fully embody this goal of volunteer litter removal into a fully fledged non-profit!

Post a comment on this thread   Go back to previous page