Myrtletown Home PageCommunity ForumCommunity ClassifiedsBusinesses in MyrtletownWhere is Myrtletown?Free Wifi Hotspot
How to login?Close
If you have never logged in before, simply enter your name and email address and an account will be created for you with that information. Once your account is created, an email will be sent to you with further details.
Privacy PolicyClose
The email address you provide to Myrtletown.net when you register a new account will not be sold or shared with any 3rd party organization or entity. We may occasionally use your email address to send you important notices regarding the Myrtletown.net website or your account with Myrtletown.net. Your name will be visible on the Myrtletown.net web site, but your email address will always be hidden to other users and readers of the site.
Processing...
blabla
Create a New TopicClick and drag to move this box HelpClose

Bold  Italic  Underlined    Smiley    Link    Help    New blog entry.
SmilesClose
Error Close

Insert a linkClose

How to use the buttons?Close
To use the different text styles, highlight the text that you wish to make bold, italic, or underlined then click on the appropriate button. Or, click on a text style button and begin to type. When you want to return to normal text, click the button again.

Click on the smiley face to see a list of emoticons that you can insert into your message.

To insert a link, press the www button. You will be asked to type in the web address and the text you want to appear underlined. Or, just highlight the text you want to be a link and click the www button. A menu will appear for you to enter in the address.
Delete Message Close

Are you sure you want to delete this message?

Message Flagged! Close

Myrtletown Lunch Solutions

Post a comment on this thread   Go back to previous page
Click to flag this message as spam, offensive, illegal, etc.
date posted: Jul 03, 2008 16:00:22 Reply Blog entry Flag this comment as Spam or Inappropriate
darsh
darsh
Click to see darsh's details.
Where to eat in Myrtletown

Myrtletown is small, and while we have a relatively large number of businesses operating out of our community, there are very few places to have lunch without traveling to downtown Eureka.

Having lived and worked in Myrtletown for many years, I have tried every lunch option multiple times, which I figure qualifies me to do a quick write-up on the available choices.

Read the rest of this article...

I Myrtletown

date posted: Jul 03, 2008 16:02:03 Reply Flag this comment as Spam or Inappropriate
darsh
darsh
Myrtle Avenue Market

Deli sandwiches, hot deli foods, pasta salad, and anything you could want to go with it. Myrtle Avenue Market is a complete grocery store, so you can grab some fruit, chips, and your favorite of a wide selection of beverages while waiting for your fresh-made deli sandwich. Deli prices are very reasonable, and when I'm not craving a sandwich sometimes I just grab a bag of chips and some locally-made salsa and take it back to the office.

Taqueria La Barca 2

My new favorite place to eat in the neighborhood, Taqueria La Barca 2 might have the best service, best location (Myrtletown of course), and best taco prices of all the Mexican eateries in town. They used to operate way out on Broadway, but, by some stroke of pure genius, the owners arranged to move their business to the Myrtletowne Shopping Center, right between Sal's Myrtlewood Lounge, Ink Addiction Tattoo, Redwood Pharmacy, and John's Cigars. Tacos are just $2 each (definitely best price in town), and they simply can't be beat. True Mexican style, with salsa picante, fresh onions and cilantro, and double corn tortillas to hold it all together. Oh, and they sell actual home-made horchata for only $1.50, which is pretty much unbelievable. In my opinion, the next best tacos are at Bravo Taqueria in Willits. If my co-workers would let me, I would eat at Taqueria La Barca 2 every day, no question about it.

Banana Hut Hawaiian BBQ

Located in the Turf Club building at Redwood Acres, Banana Hut Hawaiian BBQ is kind of hard to find if you don't know it's there. But don't let that discourage you--they know what they're doing. True authentic Hawaiian food, if they can't get the proper ingredients for their menu locally, they actually have it shipped all the way from Hawaii. No kidding. The service is great, and they have a frequent visitor program so you get a free lunch after you've been there a few times. Most dishes are served on a bed of cabbage, and they are the only restaurant in town that serves Hinano Tahiti, a light Tahitian beer. Try the BBQ beef, it's excellent!

Stars Hamburgers

If you haven't been to Stars, you need to stop reading right now and go order one of their award-winning burgers. Seriously, why are you still here? Stars has received Best Restaurant and Best Hamburger awards from various local outfits for many, many years, and everyone expects them to keep that reputation up for years to come. Their beef is all local organic grass fed stuff, and they serve their burgers on wheat buns (unless you ask for something different), and they never mess up an order. This is as good as it gets, people. I challenge you to find a better hamburger in Humboldt County, or anywhere for that matter. Stars is hands-down the finest burger joint this side of Thompson Peak.

Ramone's Bakery and Cafe

These guys bake their own bread, pastries, and treats, and they make a mean salami sandwich. Ramone's is just down the street from Star's Burgers, on the Myrtletown side of Harrison Ave. They'll whip you up a fine sandwich, bowl of soup, hot scone, and some coffe pretty much any time of the day, and everything is hand-made with care by real locals. And even if you were craving a burger or some tacos for lunch, it is still well worth your time and travel to drop by Ramone's afterwards for an espresso and dessert, because they will always provide friendly service and delicious fresh sweets. Oh, they also do cakes and pies, in case you want to order something in advance for an office party or other event.

Babetta's

Myrtletown's little Italian restaurant, Babetta's has a lunch buffet, so the best thing about it is that you can walk in and start eating right away. No waiting, no ordering, you just grab a plate, fill it up, and sit down, then pay the $10 when you're finished. Pizza, pasta dishes, mac and cheese, salad bar, and jello for dessert!

Wrapping it all up

With these five major options in Myrtletown, it shouldn't be tough to stay well-fed without traveling all the way into Eureka on a daily basis.

As for breakfast, well, we also highly recommend calling up Greg at Mocha Motion to have him stop by your place of employment to deliver a delicious hand-made breakfast burrito and some of the best espresso available in Humboldt County. He can be reached in his mobile coffee dispensary by calling 498-6222, but be advised that he doesn't make it to Myrtletown until 10am or later most mornings. Good time for an extra blast of fresh espresso, though!

I Myrtletown
date posted: Jul 07, 2008 7:56:11 Reply Flag this comment as Spam or Inappropriate
Fred Mangels
Fred Mangels
Click to see Fred Mangels's details.
What? No mention of Subway?

date posted: Jul 15, 2008 22:41:44 Reply Flag this comment as Spam or Inappropriate
Not Registered
Not Registered
Click to see Not Registered's details.
Thank you so much for this list. When I moved here I found (quite by accident, in the phonebook!) the best hairstylist/colorist ever in Myrtletown. Meredith who used to be at Myrtletown Beauty and now is next door. Now when I go there, or to that part of town in general, I'll know where to eat. Can't wait to try a Stars burger!

I am the default unregistered user account. Yay!
date posted: Jul 15, 2008 23:22:11 Reply Flag this comment as Spam or Inappropriate
darsh
darsh
Sorry Fred, I just couldn't do it. Considering the other options in Myrtletown, I really don't want to push a major fast food chain on my neighbors.

Indie, if you haven't had a Stars burger you have definitely been missing out. Better get there quick and see what you've been missing since you moved here! If you don't mind my asking, where did you move from?

I Myrtletown
date posted: Jul 22, 2008 22:24:07 Reply Flag this comment as Spam or Inappropriate
Not Registered
Not Registered
Click to see Not Registered's details.
Still haven't had a chance to eat a Stars burger, but I will! Darsh, I moved here from Redding, but I lived in Southern Humboldt before that.

I am the default unregistered user account. Yay!
Post a comment on this thread   Go back to previous page