Myrtletown Home PageCommunity ForumCommunity ClassifiedsBusinesses in MyrtletownWhere is Myrtletown?Free Wifi Hotspot
How to login?Close
If you have never logged in before, simply enter your name and email address and an account will be created for you with that information. Once your account is created, an email will be sent to you with further details.
Privacy PolicyClose
The email address you provide to Myrtletown.net when you register a new account will not be sold or shared with any 3rd party organization or entity. We may occasionally use your email address to send you important notices regarding the Myrtletown.net website or your account with Myrtletown.net. Your name will be visible on the Myrtletown.net web site, but your email address will always be hidden to other users and readers of the site.
Processing...
blabla
Create a New TopicClick and drag to move this box HelpClose

Bold  Italic  Underlined    Smiley    Link    Help    New blog entry.
SmilesClose
Error Close

Insert a linkClose

How to use the buttons?Close
To use the different text styles, highlight the text that you wish to make bold, italic, or underlined then click on the appropriate button. Or, click on a text style button and begin to type. When you want to return to normal text, click the button again.

Click on the smiley face to see a list of emoticons that you can insert into your message.

To insert a link, press the www button. You will be asked to type in the web address and the text you want to appear underlined. Or, just highlight the text you want to be a link and click the www button. A menu will appear for you to enter in the address.
Delete Message Close

Are you sure you want to delete this message?

Message Flagged! Close

Myrtletown Wifi Hotspot to be Upgraded

Post a comment on this thread   Go back to previous page
Click to flag this message as spam, offensive, illegal, etc.
date posted: Jan 04, 2011 8:51:10 Reply Blog entry Flag this comment as Spam or Inappropriate
darsh
darsh
Click to see darsh's details.
2010 was a rough year for the free Myrtletown wifi project. Numerous hardware issues have plagued the system and caused spotty service and much downtime. The system is up and running right now, but it is largely unreliable, going offline regularly and generally not serving the community as it was designed to.

A plan has been devised to upgrade the hardware on the main access point, which should provide us with a few more years of reliable, uninterrupted wireless service to central Myrtletown. New hardware has been ordered, and the upgrade will take place next week (weather permitting).

Once upgraded, we are very interested in expanding the network with additional repeaters throughout the Myrtletown area. So far we have plans to install repeaters in the Myrtletown Shopping Center and near Quaker and Middlefield, which we hope will extend usable coverage to the entire Edgewood area as well as much of the area surrounding the shopping center.

Do you (or someone you know) want to get involved with this project and host a repeater in the Myrtletown area? The cost is expected to be quite low and involves installing a very basic antenna on the roof of your home or business. Once installed, the network can be wired into the building to provide free internet at the location. Please contact us for details about this project.

I Myrtletown

date posted: Jan 04, 2011 10:06:42 Reply Flag this comment as Spam or Inappropriate
Richard
Richard
Click to see Richard's details.
Greetings. Just wondering what the estimated cost (or range of possible costs) would be to install an antenna and wire a house? Thank you. (I live on Pennsylvania Ave.)

date posted: Jan 04, 2011 10:44:48 Reply Flag this comment as Spam or Inappropriate
darsh
darsh
The estimated cost is right around $200 for the hardware, and I will do the actual install at no cost. Help is appreciated, but I don't mind climbing around and drilling holes

If you want to have the network wired into your home, you would need to spend an additional $30-$100, depending on your needs, for the necessary hardware. This would simply bring a wired drop into your home, into a router, and you can take it from there.

What is your cross street on Pennsylvania? We would also need to make sure there is a clear signal from your rooftop before proceeding with the installation...

I Myrtletown
date posted: Jan 04, 2011 14:59:47 Reply Flag this comment as Spam or Inappropriate
CJg
CJg
Click to see CJg's details.
I would like to figure out how to add it to my neighboorhood 18th and Quaker!!

date posted: Jan 04, 2011 16:00:12 Reply Flag this comment as Spam or Inappropriate
darsh
darsh
CJg: You're pretty far from the main AP at Trinity & Myrtle, but I could come out to your place and run some tests to see if a repeater would pick up the signal from your roof. Maybe next week some time? Email me (darsh@myrtletown.net) and we'll set up a time.

I Myrtletown
date posted: Jan 04, 2011 20:02:28 Reply Flag this comment as Spam or Inappropriate
darsh
darsh
I've been researching repeaters and the concept behind expanding wireless networks like Myrtletown.net, and I have learned that it's not a great idea to put lots of repeaters throughout the neighborhood because each repeater halves the amount of bandwidth available on the network.

Considering this new information, I think it will be best if we place a limited number of repeaters strategically throughout the Myrtletown area, in order to get the best possible increase of coverage with the fewest number of repeaters we can manage.

Thanks to those of you who have already contacted me about hosting a repeater, and please keep the emails coming. I need to map out each potential installation site, do some signal strength testing at all the different sites, then pick the most appropriate locations for the repeaters.

I hope everyone is still as excited about this as I am!

I Myrtletown
date posted: Jan 13, 2011 16:17:36 Reply Flag this comment as Spam or Inappropriate
darsh
darsh
Just a quick update, I have been waiting on parts to repair the access point, it will actually be a major upgrade, bringing us up to date with current standards (802.11n, specifically). Also, weather has been an issue, as I need to be on a steep roof to get to the unit, and wet shingles are not especially conducive to avoiding injuries!

I *will* have this thing back online as soon as possible, and then we can move forward with expanding the service, which ultimately will be positive for the whole Myrtletown community!

I Myrtletown
Post a comment on this thread   Go back to previous page