Myrtletown Home PageCommunity ForumCommunity ClassifiedsBusinesses in MyrtletownWhere is Myrtletown?Free Wifi Hotspot
How to login?Close
If you have never logged in before, simply enter your name and email address and an account will be created for you with that information. Once your account is created, an email will be sent to you with further details.
Privacy PolicyClose
The email address you provide to Myrtletown.net when you register a new account will not be sold or shared with any 3rd party organization or entity. We may occasionally use your email address to send you important notices regarding the Myrtletown.net website or your account with Myrtletown.net. Your name will be visible on the Myrtletown.net web site, but your email address will always be hidden to other users and readers of the site.
Processing...
blabla
Create a New TopicClick and drag to move this box HelpClose

Bold  Italic  Underlined    Smiley    Link    Help    New blog entry.
SmilesClose
Error Close

Insert a linkClose

How to use the buttons?Close
To use the different text styles, highlight the text that you wish to make bold, italic, or underlined then click on the appropriate button. Or, click on a text style button and begin to type. When you want to return to normal text, click the button again.

Click on the smiley face to see a list of emoticons that you can insert into your message.

To insert a link, press the www button. You will be asked to type in the web address and the text you want to appear underlined. Or, just highlight the text you want to be a link and click the www button. A menu will appear for you to enter in the address.
Delete Message Close

Are you sure you want to delete this message?

Message Flagged! Close

Update on Wifi Repair

Post a comment on this thread   Go back to previous page
Click to flag this message as spam, offensive, illegal, etc.
date posted: Jan 18, 2011 14:50:07 Reply Blog entry Flag this comment as Spam or Inappropriate
darsh
darsh
Click to see darsh's details.
Last week I was on the roof of the Humboldt Landscape office where the Myrtletown Wifi Hotspot is located. Kyle and I pulled the unit off the roof and I opened it up to diagnose the problem and begin the rebuild.

See that nasty white powdery stuff on the inside of the weather-proof box? It's corrosion caused by a faulty weather seal. Over the years moisture has been entering the enclosure, and I discovered that the amplifier unit failed due to corrosion of the circuitry. Last night I ordered a replacement unit from Shireen Inc. (an awesome manufacturer of custom radio equipment), and I expect it to be here by the end of the week. This weekend I will be finalizing the upgrade and reinstalling the unit on the roof of Humboldt Landscape.

After that, it will be time to survey the neighborhood for signal strength and pick the best install locations for repeaters to expand the range and coverage of the hotspot.

Sorry to everyone who uses this service that the repairs are taking so long!

I Myrtletown

date posted: Jan 24, 2011 15:17:14 Reply Flag this comment as Spam or Inappropriate
darsh
darsh
I have bad news about the upgrade. Yesterday I finally got the new unit assembled and working. Tested it on the ground, configured everything, then Kyle and I reinstalled the device on the mast with the antenna on the roof of his office. Unfortunately, due to a wiring snafu in office, I'm pretty sure a component in the new unit shorted out or malfunctioned, and now the whole thing needs to come down again for repair. I am very unhappy about this, but sometimes it's just how things go.

Hopefully I'll have this thing up and running by the end of the week and can finally get started mapping the new broadcast range and putting up a couple of repeaters around the neighborhood.

I Myrtletown
date posted: Jan 28, 2011 17:22:16 Reply Flag this comment as Spam or Inappropriate
darsh
darsh
Sigh... more setbacks It seems a component I need to repair the new wifi access point will not be delivered when expected. I am in the process of contacting the supplier that the part was ordered from, but the bottom line is that it was supposed to be here now and it isn't. That means another setback of about a week.

I *will* get this thing back online, and I'm sorry it has been such a mess since it initially failed last year!

I Myrtletown
Post a comment on this thread   Go back to previous page